The SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G2 is one of the new fish finder and chartplotter combos released by Humminbird in 2019. It offers a similar range of features as the last year’s SOLIX 12 MEGA SI GPS but comes with the new MSI+ transducer, has Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar rather than DualBeam Plus, offers better coverage for MEGA Side Imaging, plus clearer and more detailed images. For reference, this is the Humminbird part number 411030-1 (the older unit was 410400-1).
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: 12.1″ diagonal, 1280H x 800V pixel resolution, WVGA 16-bit color TFT, with LED backlight, cross-touch
- Sonar: Dual Spectrum CHIRP, CHIRP MEGA Side Imaging+, MEGA Down Imaging+
- Transducer: Transom XM 14 HW MSI T
- Frequency and Coverage (with the included transducer):
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP:
2D Full mode: 150-220 kHz (adjustable) / 42°
2D Wide mode: 140-200 kHz / 42°
2D Narrow Mode: 180-240 kHz / 25°
- Down Imaging:
455 kHz (435-535 kHz) / 75°
800 kHz (800-860 kHz) / 45°
Mega+ (1100-1200 kHz) / 75°
- Side Imaging:
455 kHz (405-505 kHz) / 2x 86° / 800 ft. (244 m) side-to-side
800 kHz (780-840 kHz) / 2x 55° / 250 ft. (76 m) side-to-side
Mega+ (1050-1175 kHz) / 2x 86° / 400 ft. (122 m) side-to-side
- Max. Depth Capability (with the included transducer):
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP: 1,200 ft. (365 m)
- Down Imaging: 400 ft. (122 m)
- Side Imaging: 125 ft. (38 m)
- Power Output: 1,000 Watts (RMS)
- Power Input: 10.8-20V DC
- Power Draw: 2.88 Amp
- GPS: Internal
- Cartography: Humminbird Basemap
- Routes, Waypoints, Tracks: 50; 10,000; 50 (20,000 points each)
Sonar and transducer
In terms of sonar features, the SOLIX 12 MSI+ GPS G2 is similar to the SOLIX 10 MSI+ GPS G2 that we’ve already covered here. It offers Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, Side Imaging, and Down Imaging, with the new MEGA Imaging+ modes for the last two sonar technologies. It also supports 360 Imaging sonar, and the new MEGA 360 Imaging.
As we’ve mentioned above, the unit includes the new MEGA SI+ and MEGA DI+ transducer, the XM 14 HW MSI T. This transducer integrates a temperature sensor, it has 20 ft. (6 m) of cable and a 14-pin connector. Its supported frequencies, coverage, and depth capabilities are as follows:
– For Side Imaging, this transducer uses oval beams. The 455 kHz and MEGA SI+ side beams offer a coverage of 2x 86°, while for 800 kHz, the coverage is 2x 55°. The side-to-side area covered by the side beams is 800 ft. (244 m) for regular SI @ 455 kHz, 250 ft. (76 m) @ 800 kHz, and 400 ft. (122 m) for MSI+. Also, the max. the depth that can be reached with the MSI+ sonar is approx. 125 ft. (38 m).
– For Down Imaging, the sonar beams are also oval, just as for Side Imaging, but scan the area directly under the boat. The MEGA DI+ coverage is 75° @ a frequency range of 1100-1200 kHz. For the regular Down Imaging mode, the coverage is also 75° in a frequency range between 435-535 kHz. There is also the 800 kHz (800-860 kHz) mode with a coverage of 45°. The maximum depth capability that this transducer can reach for Down Imaging is approx. 400 ft. (122 m) @ 455 kHz, while the depth capability for the MEGA DI+ is 200 ft. (61 m).
– For Dual Spectrum CHIRP, the XM 14 HW MSI T transducer uses conical beams. Their coverage is 42° for the Full Mode (150-220 kHz) and Wide Mode (140-200 kHz), and 25° for the Narrow Mode (180-240 kHz). The maximum depth capability for the Dual Spectrum CHIRP that can be achieved with this transducer is 1,200 ft. when using the Wide Mode. Of course, the unit also supports the 50 kHz channel, so if paired with a 50 kHz capable transducer, it can reach depths up to 5,000 ft. (1,524 m).
Needless to say, the SOLIX 12 CHIRP MSI+ GPS G2 offers the full range of standard sonar features. It has Real-Time Sonar, Bottom Lock, Sonar SnapShot, Sonar Recording, Selective Fish ID+, and more.
As its name suggests, the SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G2 is equipped with an internal GPS receiver. It provides fast and accurate positioning, with a real-time movement of the vessel on the unit’s display. It supports EGNOS, WAAS, and MSAS for position augmentation and also has GPS speed function.
The unit can save up to 10,000 waypoints in its memory, and you can select from an extensive base of icons so you can personalize each waypoint. Route creation and trackplotting functions are also available. The unit can save up to 50 routes in its memory, and up to 50 tracks with 20,000 points per track.
In terms of charts, the SOLIX 12 CHIRP MSI+ GPS G2 comes pre-loaded with the Humminbird Basemap platform. These charts are based on NOAA and LakeMaster charts. They provide a wide array of points of interest, depth contours, spot-soundings, navigation aids, and more for the whole U.S. coastline. They also cover more than 10,000 U.S. lakes with 1 ft. contours and plenty of other data.
The unit is compatible with various superior charts such as Navionics+, Navionics Platinum+, LakeMaster, LakeMaster Plus, and SmartStrike. Evidently, it supports the SonarChart feature from Navionics, but it also has its own, built-in mapping application, this being the AutoChart Live.
AC Live uses the 2D sonar data and the GPS data to scan and draw the depth contours on the map. Therefore, you can create, save, and re-use your own custom maps, with the most up-to-date contours, add vegetation, bottom hardness, depth shading, and more.
Like all the other SOLIX units, the 411030-1 supports Radar. It also supports data from AIS units, AutoPilot, Minn Kota i-Pilot Link, Minn Kota Talon, and more.
Control unit features
This Humminbird SOLIX unit features a cross-touch interface. This means you can navigate through its menus and use its functions either by touchscreen commands, or via the keypad, stick, and knob on the right side of the display. Its interface is highly-intuitive, very easy to use. The unit’s display is 12.1-inch in diagonal and has a pixel matrix of 1280H x 800V. It also has LED backlight for superior readability in direct sunlight, and it is IPX7 waterproof.
The box includes the classic U-bracket tilt mount and a unit cover. An in-dash mounting kit is also optionally available.
The SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G2 offers wireless connectivity (Bluetooth) as well. This being said, you can sync it with your phone via the FishSmart App for software updates or notifications from your phone. Also, you can take control of your unit via an RC2 Bluetooth remote.
Other networking features include Ethernet, NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183 ports. These allow you to easily integrate it into an already available boat grid, or plug-and-play with various other boating instruments such as external GPS sensors, AIS units, or Radar modules.
One last aspect to mention here regards the unit’s card support. As opposed to the SOLIX 10 G2 unit, this one has a dual SD card reader (not microSD). Therefore, you can use up to two cards simultaneously (one with charts, one for data backup or sonar recording, for example).
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar;
- MEGA Imaging+ (Side Imaging+ and Down Imaging+);
- XM 14 HW MSI T transducer included;
- Metallic transom mount for the transducer;
- Depth capability up to 1,200 ft. with the included transducer;
- Multiple standard sonar features available, such as RTS, Bottom Lock, Selective Fish ID+, Alarms, SwitchFire etc;
- Sonar Recording and Screen Snapshot functions;
- Precision internal GPS;
- Humminbird Basemap chart platform built-in;
- AutoChart Live;
- Supports Navionics+, Navionics Platinum, LakeMaster Plus, and SmartStrike charts;
- Trackplotting, routes and waypoints functions;
- 12.1″ display, 1280 x 800 resolution, 16-bit color display, with LED backlight, providing clear images, easy to read even in direct sunlight;
- Cross-touch interface;
- IPX7 waterproof;
- Ethernet, NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183 ports;
- Supports AIS and GPS heading sensors;
- Supports CHIRP Radar and Minn Kota i-Pilot Link;
- Supports the new MEGA 360 Imaging sonar;
- Bluetooth connectivity;
- Dual SD card reader;
- Upgradable internal software;
- Gimbal mount included;
- Fairly easy to install.
- Trolling mount for the transducer is not included;
- The in-dash mounting kit is not included.
The Humminbird SOLIX 12 MSI+ GPS G2 is a chartplotter and fishfinder combo featuring MEGA Imaging+ sonar (SI & DI), and Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, GPS, Humminbird Basemaps, and AC Live. It includes the XM 14 HW MSI T transducer and also supports the new MEGA 360 Imaging from Humminbird. It offers a wide array of networking features such as Ethernet, NMEA 2000, and Bluetooth connectivity. It supports many external modules, including Radar, i-Pilot Link, external GPS, AIS and more. It’s an excellent unit for both inland and off-shore fishing, perfect for a wide array of boats.