The NSS16 evo3S is one of the largest Simrad multifunction displays. Similar to the other NSS evo3S units that we’ve covered here, it does not include a transducer. For reference, this is the Simrard part number 000-15404-001.
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: SolarMAX™ IPS, 16″ diagonal, 1920H x 1080V pixel matrix, color, with LED backlight
- Sonar: 2D CHIRP, StructureScan (SideScan, DownScan, ForwardScan)
- Transducer: Not included
- Power Input: 10-31.2V DC
- GPS: 10 Hz internal, 34 channels
- Charts: US C-MAP Enhanced Basemap
- Waypoints, Routes, Tracks: 6000, 500, 50
- Networking: Ethernet, NMEA 2000, HDMI, video, USB, Bluetooth, WiFi
The Simrad NSS16 evo3S supports multiple sonar frequencies including 50/83/200 kHz for standard CHIRP and 455/800 kHz for structure scanning. It does not support 1000 kHz or superior frequencies. It also does not support Active Target Live sonar. However, in terms of structure scanning sonar, it supports SideScan, DownScan, ForwardScan, and StructureScan 3D.
As we’ve mentioned above, the unit does not include a transducer. However, it supports a wide array of transducers. The list of supported transducers includes the TotalScan transducer, the Active Imaging 3-in-1, LSS HD Skimmer, ForwardScan, the classic HDI skimmers for 83/200 kHz or 50/200 kHz, and more.
Similar to the newer Lowrance Hook Reveal units, the Simrad NSS16 evo3S has the FishReveal feature which offers the possibility to bring the fish arches from the standard CHIRP view into the DownScan view. It also A-Scope, Fish ID, Depth Line, Bottom Lock, Sonar Recording, and more. It does not have a Circular Flasher function, though.
Unlike the Simrad Cruise 9, the NSS16 evo3S offers Radar support. Although this particular unit does not come with a Radar module, the unit itself is compatible with Halo Pulse Compression Radars, Broadband Radars, and HD Pulse Radars. You can actually connect any combination of two supported Radars to the unit and view their feed in split-screen.
Since the unit is a chartplotter, it supports multiple charts from various developers. The list of supported charts includes C-MAP MAX-N, C-MAP MAX-N+, Navionics Gold & HotMaps, Navionics+, Navionics Platinum+, and NV Digital US Raster charts.
The standard chart platform built-in the unit is the U.S. Inland and Coastal Basemap from C-MAP. The C-MAP Enhanced charts offer coverage for more than 4,000 U.S. inland lakes and reservoirs providing 1-foot contour detail. The coastal coverage also includes Hawaii and Alaska.
It’s important to mention, though, that this particular Simrad unit does not have the Genesis Live feature for bathymetric mapping. This application may be added in future software updates, though. The unit does support charts made with Genesis Live, though. Also, you can use the SonarChart application to create your own maps, if you also opt for a Navionics+ or Navionics Platinum+ chart card.
The TripIntel page is available as well. TripIntel offers a graphical representation of your trip on the charts as well as various other trip data such as distance covered, time spent on the water, maximum speed, average speed, and more. It also keeps a historical record of your trips, so you can compare data if necessary.
Last but not least, the unit’s internal GPS receiver operates at 10 Hz. This being said, it provides position updates 10 times per second. The unit can also store up to 6,000 waypoints in its memory, 500 routes, and 50 tracks. Each track can have up to 12,000 points, and each route can contain up to 100 waypoints.
Control unit features
As we’ve mentioned above, the Simrad NSS16 evo3S is one of the largest Simrad units at the moment. It features a 16-inch SolarMax IPS display, with an HD pixel resolution of 1920H x 1080V. It has super bright built-in backlight for improved readability in direct sunlight. It also provides polarized support; in other words, you can view all the data with no problem while wearing polarized sunglasses.
The unit combines keypad technology with touchscreen technology. It has a very easy-to-use interface and provides multiple split-screen options. You can customize its homepage with the most used applications for quick access. Also, it is equipped with the newer iMX 8 processor which provides superior speed and performance.
The unit offers a wide array of networking features. It has an impressive set of connectors on the back, including a USB port, two Ethernet ports, an HDMI port, a video port, an NMEA 2000 port, and two sonar ports. These being said, it supports SteadySteer and other autopilots, it is compatible with CZone digital devices, supports Mercury Smart Tow, Honda ECO mode engine information, AIS data and interfacing, and more. Plus, it has two microSD card slots.
The unit’s connectivity feature list does not end here. It also has WiFi and Bluetooth functions. Thus, you can connect the unit to the internet or sync it with your smartphone for data downloads or uploads via the Simrad app, and even control it remotely from the screen of your phone or tablet. It is compatible with Sirius XM systems so if you have a Sirius XM receiver, you can control it from the audio bar of the unit.
Last but not least, the unit comes with the standard tilt mount and an in-dash mounting kit. A unit cover is also included.
- CHIRP 2D sonar, DownScan, SideScan, ForwardScan, and StructureScan 3D capable;
- iMX 8 high-performance processor for ultra-fast response times;
- User-friendly, highly-intuitive interface;
- Touchscreen and keypad navigation;
- Large, 16-inch display, with a pixel matrix of 1920 x 1080;
- Super-bright display, excellent readability (80°/80°);
- Various sonar functions, such as DownScan Overlay, FishReveal, Bottom Lock, A-Scope, Fish ID, Sonar Recording, etc;
- Internal 34-channel, 10 Hz GPS;
- US C-MAP Enhanced Basemap;
- Compatible with a wide array of premium charts such as Navionics Gold, Navionics Platinum+, C-MAP MAX N and C-MAP MAX N+;
- TripIntel™ and Cruise Charting view;
- StructureMap feature included;
- Full autopilot control and commissioning;
- WiFi connectivity for data download/upload and smartphone/tablet control or data streaming;
- Bluetooth connectivity and SonicHub 2 compatible;
- Supports AIS through NMEA 2000;
- Supports Broadband, Halo, and HD Pulse Radar;
- Dual microSD card reader for data backup and transfer;
- NMEA 2000 port;
- 2 Ethernet ports;
- 2 Sonar ports;
- HDMI port;
- Video port;
- USB port;
- Fusion-Link support;
- Fairly easy to install.
- A transducer is not included;
- Does not support GenesisLive.
The Simrad NSS16 evo3s is multifunction display that offers CHIRP sonar, DownScan, SideScan, ForwardScan, and StructureScan 3D support. It has a 10 Hz built-in GPS, it is pre-loaded with the C-MAP Enhanced Basemap, and offers a wide array of networking features, such as NMEA 2000, Ethernet, video, HDMI, Bluetooth, and WiFi. It also supports Broadband and Halo Radars, Sirius XM radios, autopilots, and more. It’s a versatile multi-function display, great for a wide array of boats, for inland and off-shore fishing and navigation.