The GO7 XSR is one of the Simrad multi-function displays launched a few years ago, but since then, several new versions with different charts and transducers were released. In this post, we’re going to address the 2021 model, part number 000-14838-002. This particular model includes the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer and comes with the C-MAP Discover charts.
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: 7″ diagonal, 800H x 480V pixel matrix, WVGA color TFT, with adjustable LED backlight
- Sonar: Standard CHIRP, DownScan, SideScan
- Transducer: Active Imaging 3-in-1
- Depth Capability:
1,000 ft. (305 m) for the CHIRP sonar
300 ft. (91 m) for DownScan
- Frequency and Coverage:
Frequency and Coverage (with the included transducer):
300 ft. (91 m) on each side – 455 kHz SideScan
150 ft. (46 m) on each side – 800 kHz SideScan
- Power Output: Max 500 Watts (RMS)
- Power Input: 10-17 VDC
- GPS: 32-channel, 10 Hz internal
- Charts: C-MAP Discover
- Waypoints, routes, tracks: 6000, 500, 50
- Networking: NMEA 2000, wireless connectivity
Sonar and transducer
The Simrad GO7 XSR 000-14838-002 fish finder offers three types of sonar. These are standard CHIRP, DownScan, and SideScan. It also supports ForwardScan sonar, but does not support StructureScan 3D or Active Target Live sonar. It supports three main frequencies for the CHIRP sonar (50/83/200 kHz), and two for StructureScan (455/800 kHz).
The unit comes with the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer which supports all three aforementioned sonar technologies. This transducer comes with a transom mount, has 20 ft. (6 m) of cable, and integrates a temperature sensor.
For the standard CHIRP sonar, the transducer can use the Mid and High CHIRP channels. The beams are conical. The exact CHIRP ranges are not specified, but the beam coverage is approx. 21° @ 200 kHz, and 52° @ 83 kHz. The maximum possible depth range for the CHIRP sonar is 1,000 ft. (305 m).
For the SideScan and DownScan sonar, the transducer uses thin, oval beams. These do not have CHIRP technology. The exact coverage of the beams is not specified but as a general idea, they are wider than the standard sonar. The maximum depth range of the DownScan beam is 300 ft. (91 m), while the maximum side range of the SideScan beams are 300 ft. @ 455 kHz, and 150 ft. (46 m) @ 800 kHz.
The unit offers a fairly decent range of standard sonar features. Among them, we can count Fish ID, A-Scope, Bottom Lock, Sonar Recording and Sonar Scrollback, and more. The FishReveal feature is also available with these newer GO XSE / XSR models. However, it’s important to mention that these units do not have a Circular Flasher sonar mode for ice fishing (this might be added in future software updates).
As we’ve mentioned above, the Simrad GO7 XSR 000-14838-002 comes with the C-MAP Discover charts. These are not pre-loaded into the unit. They come as a microSD card integrated into an SD card adapter. These charts offer coverage for both U.S. and Canadian in-land and off-shore waters. They include full-featured Vector Charts for easy navigation, High-Res Bathymetry, Custom Depth Shading, Easy Routing, Detailed Marina Port Plans, and more.
Of course, the unit also supports other charts from C-MAP and Navionics. The list includes C-MAP MAX N+, C-MAP Genesis, NV-Digital, Navioncs+, Navionics Platinum+, and more. It’s important to mention, though, that the unit does not have the Genesis Live bathymetric mapping feature like the HOOK Reveal 7 TS Contour+, for example. However, you can pair it with a Navionics+ charts card and use the SonarChart Live feature for this purpose.
The unit’s internal GPS has 32 channels and operates a 10 Hz. This means it provides position updates 10 times per second. It also supports WAAS for position augmentation. Needless to say, waypoint creation, route creation, and trackplotting are also available.
The Simrad GO7 XSR Active Imaging 3-in-1 C-MAP Discover can serve as a radar display if paired with a Broadband 3G/4G or Halo radar module. AIS support, SteadySteer support, Mercury SmartTow, as well as engine data information are also available. Plus, it has TripIntel feature that lets you store and recall information on trips. For example, you can check distance traveled, time traveled, average speed, maximum speed, fuel consumption, and other data regarding each trip.
Control unit features
The Simrad GO7 XSR Active Imaging 3-in-1 C-MAP Discover features a 7-inch color display with a pixel matrix of 800H x 480V and LED backlight. It offers great readability from all angles and you can also view the data on the display if you’re wearing polarized sunglasses.
The unit is full-touchscreen. It doesn’t have any keypad, just the On/Off button. It features a very easy-to-use interface. You can customize its homepage with multiple app shortcuts. It also offers split-screen possibilities so you can work with two or three applications at the same time.
The XSE / XSR GO7 units offer excellent networking features. They have a radar connector, an NMEA 2000 connector, and of course, the power and transducer connectors. This being said, you can easily connect a radar module to it, or you can easily integrate it into an already existing boat grid so it can communicate with other boating instruments.
The unit also has wireless connectivity (WiFi and Bluetooth). Thus, you can connect it to an existing WiFi hotspot for easy downloads or software updates. You can mirror the unit’s imaging on a smartphone or tablet for remote controlling. You can also pair it with various devices (i.e. smartphones, audio servers, etc) via Bluetooth.
This particular unit does not have a USB port but does have a microSD card port. The box includes a unit cover, the standard bracket mount, an in-dash mount, an edge bezel, and a transom mount for the transducer.
- Active Imaging 3-in-1 sonar (CHIRP, DownScan, SideScan);
- Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer included;
- ForwardScan capable;
- Med / High HDI skimmer transducer included;
- Depth range up to 1,000 ft. with the included transducer;
- Fast chart updates, fast navigation through menus;
- Easy to use, intuitive interface, with touchscreen technology;
- Super-bright display, excellent readability;
- Various sonar functions, such as FishReveal, Overlay DownScan, Bottom Lock, A-Scope, Fish ID, Sonar Recording, etc;
- 10 Hz internal GPS, 32-channel;
- C-MAP Discover charts card included;
- Compatible with a wide array of custom charts, including Nautic Insight PRO and HD, Navionics HotMaps Premium, Fishing HotSpots, Navionics+, Lake Insight PRO and HD, C-MAP MAX-N, and Insight Genesis;
- TripIntel and Cruise Charting view;
- GPS and sonar overlay data possibilities, via Insight Genesis;
- Supports AIS;
- Supports broadband 3G/4G and Halo Radars;
- Supports SteadySteer;
- Mercury Smart Tow enabled;
- Engine data view;
- One microSD card slot;
- NMEA 2000 connectivity (1 Micro-C port);
- Wireless connectivity (WiFi & Bluetooth);
- Simrad SonicHub®2 & Bluetooth Audio Integration;
- Sun cover included;
- In-dash mounting kit included;
- Available in multiple language packs.
- Does not have the Genesis Live feature;
- Does not have a Circular Flasher feature.
The Simrad GO7 XSR 000-14838-002 is a fish finder and chartplotter that offers CHIRP, DownScan, and SideScan sonar, a 10 Hz internal GPS, and the C-MAP Discover charts. It comes with the Active Imaging 3-in-1 transducer (83/200/455/800 kHz). It has a radar port, an NMEA 2000 port, and wireless connectivity. It’s a versatile multi-function display, great for a wide array of boats, for both off-shore and in-land fishing.