The ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G3 is one of the sonar-only ice fish finders released by Humminbird in 2021. In terms of features, it’s not much different from the 2019 model, the ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G2, which was discontinued. However, the newer G3 unit comes with an updated software and the sonar offers up to 16X zoom (up from only 8X available with the previous unit). For reference, this is the Humminbird part number 411720-1.
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: 5″ diagonal, 800H x 480V pixel resolution, 256 color TFT, with LED backlight
- Sonar: Dual Spectrum CHIRP
- Transducer: Xi 9 1521
- Depth Capability: 400 ft. (122 m)
- Frequency and Coverage (with the included transducer): 130-250 kHz, 15°-21°
- Power Output: 500 Watts (RMS)
- Power Draw: 615 mA
- Power Input: 10.8-20 VDC
- GPS: No
- Charts: No
- Portable kit: Included
Sonar and transducer
The Humminbird ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G3 offers Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar. It does not have Down Imaging or Side Imaging, and it is not compatible with these sonar technologies. It also does not support 360 Imaging sonar.
The unit comes with the standard XI 9 1521 ice transducer. This is basically a HIGH CHIRP transducer and uses the 130-250 kHz range. It casts a conical beam with a coverage between 15° and 21°. It has a depth range of 400 ft. (122 m). Its cable is approx. 8 ft. (2.4 m) long, and a stabilizing floater for it is included. It does not have an internal temperature sensor, but the unit can indicate water temperature if you pair it with a different transducer.
Since the unit has Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, it supports the 50/83/200 kHz standard frequencies, so it can technically be paired with any standard CHIRP transducer that can operate in these frequency ranges. For example, you can pair it with the XNT 9 HW T if you want to install it on a boat. The unit does offer the possibility of using 50/200 (28-75/130-250 kHz), 83/200 (75-155/130-250 kHz, or the Dual Spectrum CHIRP modes Narrow Mode (180-240 kHz), Wide Mode (140-200 kHz), and Full Mode (150-220 kHz).
The unit offers multiple standard sonar features. Evidently, it has the Circular Flasher mode offering 1024 segments for a detailed view of the underwater environment, fish, and jig movement. The flasher mode also indicates several other readings such as Depth, Range, Gain, Zoom Range, Battery Status, and more.
The unit’s interference rejection is superior to the older models. It offers 6 rejection settings (up from 5). This feature allows you to keep competing sonar signals from cluttering the display of the unit. Plus, it also has a jig charge mode. The jig charge feature enables the screen to display white at full brightness for 10 seconds.
An Adjustable Sonar Zoom feature is available as well. This gives you the possibility to focus the bottom or a certain suspended height for improved target detection. There is a 2X zoom for the flasher and up to 16X zoom for the 2D sonar view. Plus, as opposed to the older unit, this one offers a target separation of 3/4″.
Control head features and portable kit
The Humminbird ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G3 features a 5-inch color display, with a pixel resolution of 800H x 480V, with LED backlight. It is IPX7 waterproof which essentially means that it can withstand incidental water exposure.
The unit is keypad-operated. It does not have touchscreen technology. It has five buttons. These are View, Cursor, Menu, Exit, and Power. It offers split-screen possibilities of up to two applications per view. In other words, you can observe both the ice flasher mode and standard CHIRP sonar mode in split-screen.
The unit does not have any networking features (no NMEA ports, no Ethernet ports, no wireless connectivity). It does not have any navigation features (no GPS and no maps). It also does not have a microSD or an SD card reader.
The unit’s portable kit consists of the carrying bag which is made from a durable synthetic material and has two side pockets. The unit is installed on its portable mount which has a built-in cable management device for the transducer’s cable. A 9Ah battery with a charger is also included. The battery is also already installed at the back of the unit, inside the bag.
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar;
- Supports 50/83/200 base frequencies, and High, Mid, and Low CHIRP;
- Ice transducer Xi 9 1521 included;
- 1024-segment flasher;
- Split-screen possibility for the ice fishing flasher and 2D CHIRP sonar;
- Plenty of readings on the flasher, including Gain, Depth, Range, the diameter of the sonar beam based on depth, Battery Status, Zoom Range, and more.
- Interference Rejection function (6 settings);
- Adjustable sonar zoom 2X (ice flasher) and up to 16X (2D sonar);
- Superior target separation 3/4″;
- Jig Charging Mode;
- 800H x 480V resolution, 256 color display, with LED backlight, providing clear images, easy to read even in direct sunlight;
- Carrying case and mount included;
- Battery with charger included;
- Year-round fish finder, compatible with all the HELIX 5 transducers.
- No navigation features (no charts, no GPS plotter);
- No networking features;
- The transducer does not have a temperature sensor.
The ICE HELIX 5 CHIRP G3 is one of the most basic ice fish finders available from Humminbird. It’s also one of the most affordable. The unit offers Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, it includes the Xi 9 1521 ice transducer, a portable bag, mount, battery, and charger. Although it’s intended for ice fishing, you can also use it from a boat and can pair it with a transom transducer.