The HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G4N is one of the Humminbird fish finder units released in 2021. As opposed to the older HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G3N, it has a richer pixel resolution. It also has WiFi and supports CoastMaster charts. For reference, this is the Humminbird part number 411630-1.
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: 7″ diagonal, 1024H x 600V pixel resolution, 16-bit color TFT, with LED backlight
- Sonar: Dual Spectrum CHIRP
- Transducer: XNT 9 HW T
- Depth Capability (with the included transducer): 1,200 ft. (365 m)
- Frequency and Coverage:
Narrow mode: 180-240 kHz / 25°
Wide mode: 140-200 kHz / 42°
Full mode: 150-220 kHz (adjustable) / 42°
- Power Output: 1,000 Watts (RMS)
- Power Input: 10.8-20V DC
- Power Draw: 800 mA
- GPS: 10 Hz, Internal
- Cartography: Humminbird Basemap
- Routes, Waypoints, Tracks: 47; 2,750; 50 (20,000 points each)
- Networking: NMEA 2000, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth
Sonar and transducer
The Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G4N has built-in Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar. It supports three main frequencies, these being 50/83/200 kHz. It does not support Side Imaging or Down Imaging. It also does not support MEGA Live or MEGA 360 Imaging.
The unit comes with the XNT 9 HW T transducer which is technically a High CHIRP transducer. That’s because it only covers the 150-220 kHz frequency range. It’s a plastic transducer featuring 20 ft. (6 m) of cable and an internal temperature sensor. Of course, you can always pair the unit with a 50 kHz capable transducer, for deepwater scanning.
The included XNT 9 HW T transducer uses conical beams. For the unit’s Wide Mode (140-200 kHz) and Full Mode (150-220 kHz), the beams have a coverage of 42°. For the Narrow Mode (180-240 kHz), the beam angle is 25°. The maximum depth range of this Humminbird fish finder with the included transducer is 1,200 ft. (365 m), when using the Wide Mode. With a CHIRP 50 kHz transducer, the unit can reach depths up to 3,500 ft. (1,066 m).
The unit offers the full range of standard sonar features and applications. The list includes SwitchFire, Selective Fish ID, A-Scope, Bottom Lock, WhiteLine, Circular Flasher, Fish Alarm, Depth Alarm, Sonar Recording, and more.
Similar to the other Humminbird HELIX units, the HELIX 411630-1 comes with the Humminbird Basemap platform for navigation. These charts offer U.S. coastal and inland lake coverage. For saltwater, they are based on the NOAA charts offering plenty of data for the whole U.S coast including hotels, marinas, hazards, buoys, day markers, spot soundings, and much more. For freshwater, they cover more than 10,000 lakes with depth contours, points of interest, and other navigation aids.
Of course, the unit supports various charts as well. The list includes Navionics Gold/HotMaps, Navionics+, Navionics Platinum+, LakeMaster, LakeMaster Plus, CoastMaster, and SmartStrike fishing charts. Plus, it has the AutoChart Live feature. This application allows you to create your own bathymetric mapping. The unit can save up to 8 hours of AutoChart recording, but you can also opt for a Zero Lines microSD card to expand your recording possibilities.
The unit has a 10 Hz internal GPS receiver. This means it can provide position updates 10 times per second. It supports EGNOS, WAAS, and MSAS for position augmentation. A GPS speed feature is also available. You can save up to 2,750 waypoints in its memory, 47 routes, and 50 tracks. Each track can have 20,000 points.
Since it’s a G4N unit, the HELIX 411630-1 offers a few extra navigation features over the G4 units. To begin with, it supports CHIRP radar, autopilots, and Minn Kota i-Pilot Link. It also supports AIS units and GPS heading sensors.
Control unit features
The HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G4N offers an extensive range of networking features. First of all, it has NMEA 2000 and Ethernet ports which offer easy plug-and-play for other boating instruments as well as easy integration in an already existing boat grid. The unit also has wireless connectivity (Bluetooth and WiFi). This being said, you can pair it with your phone for data transfer, or with an RC remote control. With a WiFi connection, you can easily update the unit’s software, download charts, etc. The unit also has two microSD card slots.
Although this HELIX unit features a 7-inch diagonal display, it has a richer pixel matrix of 1024H x 600V (up from 800H x 480V) which offers crisper imaging. It has LED backlight and offers excellent readability from sharp angles, even if you’re wearing polarized sunglasses. It is IPX7 waterproof which essentially means that it can withstand incidental water exposure with no problem.
The unit does not have touchscreen technology, just the side keypad. It offers +/- Zoom keys, the View key, the Check/Info key, the Menu Key, the Mark Waypoint key, the Go-To / MOB key, the Exit Key, the 4-direction cursor key, the On/Off key, as well as three separate shortcut keys to which you can assign different functions.
Finally, the box includes the standard gimbal mount, a transom mount for the transducer, mounting hardware, and the power cable. A unit cover and an in-dash mounting kit are not included.
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar;
- XNT 9 HW T transducer included;
- Depth capability up to 1,200 ft. with the included transducer;
- Supports 50 kHz;
- Multiple sonar functions are available, such as A-Scope, Bottom Lock, WhiteLine, Fish ID+, Alarms, SwitchFire, etc;
- Sonar Recording and Screen Snapshot functions;
- 10 Hz internal GPS;
- Humminbird Basemap chart platform built-in;
- AutoChart Live included;
- Supports Navionics+, Navionics Platinum+, LakeMaster Plus, CoastMaster, and SmartStrike charts;
- Trackplotting, routes, and waypoints functions;
- 7-inch display with a 1024H x 600V pixel resolution for crisp imaging;
- IPX7 waterproof;
- Built-in NMEA 2000 and Ethernet;
- WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity;
- Compatible with the FishSmart App and the RC Bluetooth remote controls;
- Supports Radar, I-Pilot Link, Talon and Raptor anchors, Cannon Downriggers, and One-Boat Networks;
- Supports AIS and GPS heading sensors;
- Two microSD card slots;
- Upgradeable internal software;
- Gimbal mount included;
- Fairly easy to install.
- Flush mount is not included;
- A trolling mount for the transducer is not included;
- A unit cover is not included.
The Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP GPS G4N is a fish finder and chartplotter featuring Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, a 10 Hz internal GPS, the Humminbird Basemap, and a wide array of networking features like NMEA 2000, Ethernet, WiFi, and Bluetooth. It comes with the XNT 9 HW T transducer. It’s a great unit for both inland and saltwater fishing, and for a wide range of boats.