The HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N is one of the Humminbird fish finder and chartplotter combos released in 2019. It offers MEGA DI+ sonar technology for a sharper under-the-boat view and a slightly superior depth capability to the regular MEGA DI. The unit includes the MDI transducer and has the Humminbird Basemap platform built-in its memory. For reference, this is the Humminbird part number 410850-1.
Key Features and Specifications
- Display: 9″ diagonal, 1024H x 600V pixel resolution, WVGA 16-bit color TFT, with LED backlight
- Sonar: Dual Spectrum CHIRP, CHIRP Mega Down Imaging+
- Transducer: Transom XM 9 HW MDI T
- Frequency and Coverage:
- 2D Narrow Mode: 180-240 kHz / 25°
- 2D Wide mode: 140-200 kHz / 42°
- 2D Full mode: 150-220 kHz (adjustable) / 42°
- DI+: 435-535 kHz / 75°, 800-860 kHz / 45°
- MDI+: 1100-1200 kHz / 75°
- Depth Capability (with the included transducer):
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP: 1,200 ft (365 m)
- DI+: 400 ft (122 m)
- MDI+: 200 ft (51 m)
- Power Output: 1,000 Watts (RMS)
- Power Input: 10.8-20V DC
- Power Draw: 1 Amp
- GPS: Internal
- Cartography: Humminbird Basemap
- Routes, Waypoints, Tracks: 45; 2,750; 50 (20,000 points each)
Sonar and transducer
The Humminbird HELIX 9 CHIRP MDI+ GPS G3N offers two types of sonar, these being traditional Dual Spectrum CHIRP and MEGA Down Imaging+ for structure scanning. Also, since it’s a G3N unit, it has Ethernet connectivity and is compatible with 360 Imaging transducers. However, it does not support Side Imaging+ or regular Side Imaging. As a general idea, the base frequencies supported by this Humminbird fish finder are 50/83/200/455/800 kHz and 1.2 MHz for MEGA DI+.
The unit comes with the XM 9 HW MDI T transducer which supports all the unit’s sonar types. It’s a High CHIRP transducer featuring 20′ (6m) of cable, a transom mount, and an internal temperature sensor. For the unit’s 2D sonar it covers a frequency range between 140 kHz and 240 kHz. Just as for the other Humminbird units with Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, this system makes available three modes. These are Full Mode (150-220 kHz), Wide Mode (140-200 kHz), and Narrow Mode (180-240 kHz). For all these sonar modes, the transducer uses conical beams. Their coverage is 42° for the Full and Wide modes, and 25° for the Narrow Mode. Also, for the Narrow and Wide modes the frequency range is fixed, while for the Full Mode, the frequency is adjustable, (150-220 kHz) being just the default interval.
For MEGA DI+ the transducer uses oval-shaped beams, 1°-2° thin fore-to-aft, but with a side to side coverage of 75° when using the 455 kHz (435-535 kHz ) mode or the 1.2 MHz (1100-1200 kHz), and 45° for the 800 kHz (800-860 kHz) mode.
In terms of depth capabilities, with the included transducer this Humminbird fish finder can scan depths up to 1,200 ft (365 m) when using the Dual Spectrum CHIRP (Wide Mode). The depth capability for MEGA DI+ is 400 ft (122 m) @ 455 kHz, and 200 ft (61 m) @ 1.2 MHz.
Of course, the unit offers the full array of standard sonar functions. To begin with, it has the SwitchFire mode which is a quick noise filter that allows you to swap between the full sonar information on the display and a clear mode which eliminates most of the clutter, focusing on the biggest targets. Among other features, we can count Selective Fish ID+, Real-Time Sonar (RTS or A-Scope), Circular Flasher, Split Zoom, Bottom Lock, Depth Alarm, Fish Alarm, etc. The unit also has a Temperature Graph function and a Sonar Recording function.
As its name suggests, this Humminbird HELIX unit is equipped with an internal GPS receiver. It can provide position augmentation via WAAS, MSAS, and EGNOS. It also has a GPS speed function so it can calculate the speed of your boat.
The unit can save up to 2,750 waypoints in its memory. It gives you the possibility to select from a pretty rich database of icons to personalize each waypoint better. It also has route creation and trackplotting functions being able to save up to 45 routes and 50 tracks with up to 20,000 points per track.
The unit’s internal map platform is the Humminbird Basemap. These charts cover more than 10,000 U.S. lakes. They are based on NOAA charts and offer precise data for the U.S. coast as well, showing hazards, buoys, marinas, hotels, camping sites, spot soundings, daymakers, and more. Of course, the unit is also compatible with Navionics+, Navionics Platinum+, LakeMaster charts, LakeMaster Plus, and SmartStrike.
The AutoChart Live feature is also available with this Humminbird unit. This is a depth contour recording application which uses the 2D sonar data and the GPS data in order to reveal and draw the depth contours of the lake you’re scanning on the map. The unit can save up to 8 hours of AutoChart Live recordings, but you can always expand the recording possibilities with a Zero Lines contours card. AC Live also offers bottom hardness, vegetation data, and depth range shading features, so you can easily view the safest path for navigation.
Like all the other G3N units, this model supports Radar, Minn Kota i-Pilot Link, Minn Kota Talon Shallow Water Anchor, and information from AIS units.
Control unit features
The Humminbird HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N features a 9-inch display with LED backlight for superior readability even in direct sunlight. It has a pixel resolution of 1024H x 600V. It’s keypad operated and comes with the Gimbal mounting system. It is also IPX7 waterproof which essentially means that it is built to withstand incidental water exposure.
Like all the other G3N units, this model offers superior networking features. It has Ethernet and also supports NMEA 2000. Therefore, you can connect it to your already existent boat grid so it can communicate with other instruments such as Radar, i-Pilot Link, AIS units, and more.
Bluetooth connectivity is also available with this unit. Therefore, you can sync it with your smartphone via the FishSmart app in order to view your phone notifications on the unit’s display. This also gives you the possibility to download any software updates without a cable connection or without a microSD card. Plus, you can control your unit with an optional RC2 Bluetooth remote control.
The unit is equipped with a dual microSD card reader. Therefore, you can use a Navionics card and a blank data card simultaneously, without the need to swap cards.
- Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar;
- CHIRP Mega Down Imaging+ sonar;
- XM 9 HW MDI T transducer included;
- Depth capability up to 1,200 ft with the included transducer;
- Multiple standard sonar features available, such as RTS, Bottom Lock, Selective Fish ID+, Alarms, SwitchFire etc;
- Sonar Recording and Screen Snapshot functions;
- Precision internal GPS;
- Humminbird Basemap chart platform built-in;
- AutoChart Live;
- Supports Navionics+, Navionics Platinum, LakeMaster Plus, and SmartStrike charts;
- Route and waypoint creation functions;
- Trackplotting function;
- 9″ display, 1024 x 600 resolution, 16-bit color display, with LED backlight, providing clear images, easy to read even in direct sunlight;
- IPX7 waterproof;
- Supports Ethernet and NMEA 2000;
- Supports AIS and GPS heading sensors;
- Supports CHIRP Radar and Minn Kota i-Pilot Link;
- Bluetooth connectivity;
- Compatible with the FishSmart App and the RC2 Bluetooth remote control;
- Dual microSD card reader;
- Upgradable internal software;
- Gimbal mount included;
- Fairly easy to install.
- In-dash mounting kit not included;
- Bluetooth remote control not included;
- No trolling mount for the transducer;
- A unit cover is not included.
The HELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N offers Dual Spectrum CHIRP sonar, MEGA DI+, GPS, the Humminbird BaseMap charts, and includes the XM 9 HW MDI T transducer. It’s a fish finder and chartplotter great for both in-land and off-shore fishing. It also offers superior connectivity features such as Ethernet, NMEA 2000 compatibility, and Bluetooth. It’s a versatile unit, great for a wide array of boats, and offers excellent value for the price.