|GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch|
Check Discounted Price
|US LakeVü HD,
The Garmin GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch offers the same range of features as the GPSMAP 1242xsv which we have previously reviewed. However, as its name suggests, this unit has a full touchscreen interface. It also features an extra HDMI video output port. For reference, this is the Garmin part number 010-01917-13 which doesn’t include a transducer.
Technical Details & Specifications
- Display: 12″ diagonal WXGA color, touch display, 1280H x 800V pixel resolution, with LED backlight
- Sonar: CHIRP 2D, CHIRP ClearVü, CHIRP SideVü
2D: 50/77/200 kHz
ClearVü/SideVü: 260/455/800 kHz
- Max. Depth Capability: 5,000 ft (1,524 m)
- Transducer: Not included
- Power Draw: 12 VDC, 2.4 Amp
- Power Output: 1 kW
- GPS: 10 Hz, internal
- Charts: LakeVü HD and BlueChart g2 HD
- Routes, Waypoints, Tracks: 100; 5,000; 50,000 points (50 saved tracks).
As we’ve mentioned above, the GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch does not include a transducer. It is, however, compatible with several transducers from Garmin and Airmar. Among them, we can count the GT51M-TM, GT51M-TH, GT52HW-TM, GT41-TM, or the Airmar B60.
The unit has built-in 2D CHIRP sonar, ClearVü, and SideVü. It also supports Panoptix all-seeing sonar, being compatible with all the Panoptix transducers. In terms of base operating frequencies, the unit supports 50/77/200 kHz for the traditional sonar, and 260/455/800 kHz for ClearVü and SideVü. It also has dual-frequency capabilities for 50/200 kHz and 77/200 kHz transducers.
The unit’s depth capabilities depend on the selected transducer. But as a general idea, with a 50 kHz CHIRP capable transducer, it can scan depths up to 5,000 ft (1,524 m).
The unit also offers the full range of standard sonar features. It has Fish Symbols ID, various sonar alarms, A-Scope, Bottom Lock, Temperature Log and Graph, etc. It also Sonar Recording and Sonar Rewind.
The GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch is equipped with a 10 Hz internal GPS/GLONASS receiver. This means it can provide 10 position updates per second. Evidently, it shows your coordinates and the coordinates of any point of interest. A GPS speed function is also included, which basically means that the GPS system can calculate and display the speed of your boat, without the use of a speed sensor.
The unit offers waypoints, routes, and trackplotting functions. It can save up to 5,000 waypoints in its memory, and up to 100 routes. You can also record and save up to 50 tracks, with 50,000 points per track. Each saved track can be converted into a route to which you can add waypoints and re-trace at any time.
Just like the GPSMAP 1040xs, this Garmin unit has two internal chart platforms, the LakeVü HD for inland fishing and navigation, and the BlueChart g2 HD, which are off-shore charts.
The LakeVü HD chart base makes available highly detailed freshwater maps, covering more than 17,000 U.S. lakes, reservoirs, and rivers. Included in those there are more than 13,000 HD lakes with 1-foot contours shoreline to shoreline. These charts also include interstates, general roads, highways, bridges, designated fishing areas, marinas, dock, boat ramps and other points of interest.
The BlueChart g2 HD charts provide coverage for the East Coast, West Coast, Gulf of Mexico, U.S. and the Canadian side of the Great Lakes. They offer plenty of information, including nav-aids, spot soundings, depth contours up to 1-foot, tides, currents, harbors, and marinas. They also offer the Depth Range Shading feature which allows you to color code up to 10 depth ranges in order to view them at a glance.
In terms of charts, the unit is also compatible with LakeVü HD Ultra and BlueChart g2 Vision which not only that provide superior map detail, they also open extra features such as Auto Guidance.
Quickdraw Contours is a feature available with this Garmin unit as well. This feature uses the 2D sonar and the GPS data to instantly reveal and draw the depth contours of your lake on the map. Therefore, you can create and use personalized maps with the most up-to-date depth contours, in case the unit’s chart base doesn’t cover the body of water where you’re fishing.
Last but not least, the unit offers the SailAssist feature base. The SailAssist is basically a pre-race page which indicates your virtual starting line along with other data such as laylines, enhanced wind rose, time to burn before the start, race timer that you can sync with other Garmin GPS units, and more. Plus, the unit provides AIS, Radar, DSC, Garmin Helm and ActiveCaptain support.
Control unit, networking & other features
The Garmin GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch has a 12″ diagonal display, WXGA type, full-color with a pixel resolution of 1280 x 800. It’s also IPX7 waterproof and has adjustable LED backlight. As its name suggests, it has a touchscreen interface without any side keypad.
The unit’s interface is highly intuitive, easy to operate. Its homepage can be customized; for example, you can add various apps to it for quick access. It also offers several split-view modes, with up to 4 apps per view.
This Garmin unit is highly networkable. It has Ethernet, NMEA 2000 ports, a BNC input port, and an HDMI output port. The box includes an NMEA 2000 T-connector and NMEA 2000 drop cable (2 m). Therefore, you can share data with other Garmin units, Radar modules, AIS, GSD 24 or GSD 26 sonar modules, GXM 53 weather receivers, or Fusion-link audio systems. It also supports FLIR cameras and VIRB camera streaming.
Just like most other GPSMAP units, the 1242xsv Touch has built-in Wi-Fi. Therefore, you can sync it with your smartphone or tablet in order to improve your navigation experience via the ActiveCaptain app, or access the Quickdraw Contours Community to upload/download charts; it’s also possible to get smart notification from your phone to your Garmin unit.
ANT connectivity is also included. This enables your unit to communicate with various Garmin devices such as Garmin Nautix, GNX Wind marine instruments, quatix marine watches, or GRID keypads.
The unit has a built-in dual SD card reader. Therefore, you can use two chart SD cards simultaneously, or one chart card and one data card.
Finally, the box includes a flush mount, a bail mount, and a protective cover.
- CHIRP technology offering superior clarity, target separation and target definition for the 2D Sonar, ClearVü, and SideVü
- Supports Panoptix all-seeing sonar;
- Supports gWind, gWind Wireless, and gWind Race transducers;
- Supports dual-frequency sonar;
- Compatible with a wide selection of transducers from Garmin and Airmar, including 1 kW models;
- Sonar recording and rewind;
- Many standard sonar features, including Fish Symbols, A-Scope, Bottom Lock, Sonar Zoom, Fish Alarm, Depth Alarm, etc.
- Fast and accurate 10 Hz internal GPS;
- Preloaded with the U.S. LakeVü HD and BlueChart g2 coastal charts;
- Quickdraw Contours function, for the possibility to add contours and customize your maps;
- Multiple Depth Range Shading;
- Compatible with the Garmin premium charts, such as BlueChart g2 Vision or LakeVü HD Ultra;
- Tide tables information;
- SailAssist page;
- Ethernet and NMEA 2000 ports;
- HDMI port;
- Data graphs and information from other NMEA 2000 sensors;
- ActiveCaptain compatible;
- Supports AIS, RADAR and DSC-capable VHF radio;
- Garmin Meteor™ Audio System compatible;
- Supports FUSION-Link™ compatible radios;
- FLIR camera support;
- VIRB® camera streaming support;
- High resolution – 1280 x 800;
- Dual SD card reader;
- Garmin Helm compatible;
- Wireless remote control compatible;
- Wi-Fi connectivity;
- Built-in ANT connectivity;
- Bail and flush mounts included;
- NMEA 2000 drop cable included;
- Unit cover included;
- Easy to install;
- Straightforward, comprehensive operation.
- Not compatible with Navionics or C-MAP charts;
- The GRID remote control is not included;
- A transducer is not included.
The Garmin GPSMAP 1242xsv Touch is a multi-function display offering 2D CHIRP sonar, ClearVü, SideVü, Panoptix support, GPS, LakeVü & BlueChart g2 charts, Quickdraw Contours, and superior networking capabilities. It doesn’t come with a transducer but it is compatible with various transducers from Garmin and Airmar. It supports a wide array of navigation tools such as Radar, AIS units etc, or other devices such as FLIR cameras, Garmin Meteor and more. It also has wireless connectivity and is compatible with the ActiveCaptain app. In all, it’s a unit of high versatility, offering an outstanding value for the price.